Monday, December 21, 2009

Glory in the Highest

Well you know we all put the Chris Tomlin concert on our calendar as soon as we found out he was coming back to town. Ever since we told Bella months ago that we were going she keeps saying "At Christmas I get to see Chris Tomlin and Santa!" She was just beside herself excited about going. Of course, Kyle and I were also excited to go. It's no secret we are all huge fans of Chris and have been since our high school and college days when he was just the local Texas guy doing camps and youth events. I spent two summers on the ETBU rec team and of the 10 weeks each of those years I'd say probably 1/2 of them were with Chris and his band. Even back then, before he was "famous" God's anointing on his life and ministry were so evident. The best description I ever heard was that he is truly a "lead worshiper" not a "worship leader".




As a bonus, Louie Giglio was on tour with Chris. Louie is another person we first came in contact with back in our college days at camps and college events. Kyle and I were at ETBU when the Passion movement really got started. I have always loved to hear what God has to say through Louie. Saturday was no exception.



The worship experience on Saturday night was amazing. In the midst of the craziness of the season it was exactly what I needed to be reminded of the reasons we really have to celebrate. We so rarely take time out of the busyness of this season to truly worship and focus on what God did at Christmas. Several points from what Louie shared stuck out to me:

• God had been silent for 400 years (the interbiblical period) and when he chose to speak again it was through the cry of a baby. Definitely not what the Jewish people were expecting.

• Nothing about that first Christmas night was perfect except for the baby. Mary was in the worst possible situation for her baby to be born in. Her prayers that night, prior to Jesus' birth were probably somewhere along the lines of "Please God, not tonight."

• In the first chapter of John, when the Bible says "the Word became flesh" it means God came to us where we are, He moved into the neighborhood! Or the NASCAR version as we learned "Jesus bought a motor home and moved into the driver's paddock!"

I have to say that there is just something special about watching Bella worshiping God in her own way. I know she doesn't fully grasp the concept of Christ and what He did for us on the Cross, but she just lights up when she is singing songs to God. During the concert she asked my sister "Aunt Kristi, where is God?" and she's asked me the same thing since then.



Hope Chris comes back to town soon. Bella has already asked if we can bring the baby with us next time we see Chris. She said "Mommy I think the baby will love to go to the concert to see Chris Tomlin!" Somehow I think she's probably right!

No comments:

Post a Comment