Monday, June 1, 2009

ER Visit

So we made a trip to the ER on Friday night. About 9:30 I decided I wanted to take a bath so I could be finished in time to watch Jay Leno on his last show...on a side note, I refuse to watch Conan or Dave so I guess we'll either be going to bed earlier or watching a lot more Sports Center. So back to my story, Bella was laying on the floor in our room with Ti watching Madagascar, so I told her to stay right there while I went downstairs to get Kyle so he could watch her while I got my bath. I wasn't even to the top of the stairs when I heard her crash. She decided as soon as I walked out of the room to jump on the bed and went head first into the headboard. She got a fairly small cut, but it was gaping open pretty wide, so we called Aunt Kristi to come look at it. We decided that since it was on her face, we needed to take her to the ER for stitches so she hopefully wouldn't scar too badly. We talked to her pediatrician and they advised us to go to Texas Children's, so we packed a bag and headed to Houston. Aunt Kristi went with us, which was a decision she probably regretted later! We got to the ER about 11:00, signed in and saw the triage nurse within 5 or 10 minutes. He immediately looked at her cut and said they would be able to glue it and wouldn't need to stitch it. We asked how long the wait was at that point and he said he wasn't sure, but that it looked like 2 1/2 to 3 hours which didn't sound too incredibly long considering all the people we saw waiting. Well that was a LIE!!!!! 10 hours later we finally saw the doctor and big surprise, the cut had already scabbed over and started closing up so there was nothing that they could do. That is definitely making a long story very short. We repeatedly asked about just this problem (that the wound seemed to be closing up and wasn't going to able to be stitched or glued) as well as asked at one point if we could just have the co-pay back so that we could go to another hospital (which of course we couldn't because we had seen the triage nurse and they would "probably" bill for that, but there was no way to know for sure). Needless to say Texas Children's isn't high on my list of favorite places right now! I'm going to try and get in touch with a patient advocate tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment